Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Week 3: Pigs and Jigsaws






I believe that cooperative learning is one of the most important types of teaching there is. I know from when I was in school, when I was lectured to (direct instruction) I would drift off and day dream. I was never good at taking notes and if you talked at me to long I would loose interest. The days that we had group assignments that were hands on and exciting, I learned a lot more. This isn't the case for every student but for me it was. I think that teaching should be more about the students learning by then me just talking at them. Using Cooperative learning it activates different parts of the students thought process and it is easier (at least in my experience) for them to retain more complex topics.

 


This week, we also learned the technique of using jigsaw in our classroom. I am not a huge fan of this way but it will work for the more advanced learners. We used this technique, when we all became "experts" on a certain Native American Tribe. This was pretty interesting. We all paired into groups of two and worked together to create a PowerPoint on the tribe we assigned. Once done we presented it to the class.








No comments:

Post a Comment